2006-05-14

Just what I've been looking for?

For a while I’ve been thinking how nice it would be to commute to school by bicycle. I wouldn’t dare subject my Bianchi to that in NYC, so I would need to buy something suitable, either new or used, but the time investment and expense involved has put me off of doing anything much more than daydream about it. Today, however, I happened across a bike which is almost exactly what I had imagined would be most suitable:
The Redline 9•2•5.
The price is very reasonable (though I wonder whether I’ll be able to find it priced so well in my area), if not exactly pocket change. My only concern is trying to manage the hills here in Washington Heights on a singlespeed, but perhaps between lowering the gearing slightly and getting into shape I can handle it.

2 Comments:

Blogger R. Scott Buchanan said...

I looked at the floor model at Harris recently, and it's a nice bike, and it's very attractively priced. If I had the spare cash, it seems like a well-designed option for a commuter.

WRT hills, a lot of people actually find the single speeds make their climbing better quickly. The first week is a bitch and a half, but since there's nothing for it but to keep on going, you learn to cope. The problem is if you're running the flip-flop on the fixie side and you're trying to go back down a steep hill.

Also, the fixie side has a somewhat larger gear (74.9" versus 70.2"), and that'd make going down hills less painful if you did want to learn to gut it out.

But how could anyone not love a bike, in this day and age, that ships with moustache bars?

14 May, 2006 19:36  
Blogger ginsbu said...

Glad you like the look of it. I'm not so worried about the hills running fixed, as I expect I'll stick with SS. The real question is whether to cough up the money for the bike, a chain/lock, tougher tires (Armadillos probably), maybe a new saddle, etc. Attractively priced or not, that adds up...

15 May, 2006 00:09  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home